Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > General > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Default JPG file specs for ad artwork

We are going to include advertising for lenders, inspectors, etc. within some of our tours.

I'm trying to figure out what the specs of the jpg file need to be so that it is clear and fits the whole screen. I tried inserting a half page size ad that we had created for something else. It had text and a photo and was saved as a jpg at 300dpi. The text was blurry and overall it did not look good.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
VT Support and Training

Default Re: JPG file specs for ad artwork

There is no "perfect" size setting, but I'll give you some info that might help.

The viewer will resize itself to fit the amount of space it is given. Since the viewer does not stay a constant size, there is no one size that will always look the same to each person. Despite that variable, there is still one option that is better than others. Ideally, you want to upload an image that measures 1160 pixels wide and 840 pixels tall. If you upload a larger image, it will get resized down. If you upload a smaller image, you lose out on available pixels you could be using to create a clearer image.

Even though I've named a size, it will still look better to some people than others. Why? Because some people will be viewing the tour at a screen resolution and web browser window size that allows the viewer to show the full 1160x840 pixels, but others will not. Some people might be able to see less content on their screens, so the image is resized on the fly to fit the available space, and text in particular can get distorted when thin lines of letters get thinner from lack of space. Of course, some people will have even more room than they need, so the image could also be stretched upward in size, but starting with the larger size of 1160x840 makes that less likely.

Notice how I have said nothing about a DPI setting. The dots per inch is not important at all in this case. For printing, it is important to have a higher DPI, but on the screen, only the total number of pixels (rather than how many fit in an inch) is important.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Re: JPG file specs for ad artwork

If you have access to PowerPoint, create a slide in PowerPoint that includes your advertisement or whatever you want. Click on File and Save As. In the file type box, select .jpg, name your file and save it. You can then import the slide into your Visual Tour just as you would any other photo. I have used this technique several times and it works quite well.