Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support - General > I Need Help!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Exclamation Property Location in Wrong Place On Maps?

Hi,

On our inventory map several of our properties are in the wrong location. You can view our inventory at http://www.truckeeinfo.com/files/map.htm. A couple of incorrect property locations are 14474 Alder Creek, 13770 Ski Slope, 11866 Ski Slope. On Google Maps these properties are in the right location but not on the Visual Tour Google maps.

Is there a way to get these properties to be in the correct location? I've validated the addresses and done everything I can think of.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
VT Support and Training

Default Re: Property Location in Wrong Place On Maps?

It is interesting that the Google map shown when someone is viewing your tour and clicks the MAP option is different from the (also Google) map that is seen when mapping your inventory. Although both are Google, they use different mapping techniques. The inventory is mapped using GeoCodes, a technology that tracks the exact (or in your case, not so exact) latitude and longitude of a place on Earth. GeoCodes are generally more accurate.

We'll take a look and see if there is anything we can do (short of typing in a fake address), but I at least wanted to jump in and give some sort of short reply so you would know that someone saw your inquiry.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. I found it strange too that the addresses can be in different places even though they are both google maps. I appreciate you looking into this matter and wish you the best of luck finding a resolution.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM

As long as you're looking into this, I have one with the same problem. Property address has been validated and is...

8461 Pontiac Dr
Howard City MI 49329
(property is located about 30 miles north of Grand Rapids - on the west side of the state)

Property is being shown on the VT Google map as being in Pontiac MI (near Detroit - on the other side of the state). Therefore, the map location is a good 2 hours drive time from where it should be shown.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
VT Support and Training

Here is a little update. We have learned a bit more about the mapping and why Google shows different locations for a property based on which part of Google we check. We are testing some options, and it made sense for us to use real properties as tests, so we have been experimenting with the properties that have been brought to our attention above.

thesoggycow - Your three tours are now showing up in what we believe is the correct location. I suspect you have more and were just using those three as examples, so give us a call and let us know which other ones need fixing. We can then use those for more testing.

Dave Melvin - You only mentioned one listing, but that one is fixed as well. If there are others, we can work on those.

Work is still ongoing toward a better and permanent solution to the differences in mapping, but as you can see by the testing we have been doing, we have an understanding of why it is happening and are able to find ways to make it work. I'll update this forum area again when we have more news.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Much better. Thank you. I have no others with any problems right now, but will post if any others show out of ordinary. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Here is a list of incorrectly placed (enough to matter) listings.

12101 Snowpeak
13456 Ski View Loop
11779 Oslo Drive
12874 Muhlebach
12939 Muhlebach
11845 Rhineland
13770 Skislope Way
14432 Davos Drive
12695 Caleb Drive
15019 Donnington
10145 Michaels Way (at Lake Lahoe should be at Donner Lake.. Not on Google Maps though...)

Most of our listings are off by a little bit, but its not enough to matter. Just the above listings are drastically off.

Thanks for looking into this issue as deeply as you have. Visual Tour sure does have excellent tech support and it shows . I am looking forward to any advances your team make in this area and hope we can get our houses in the correct location.

Thanks Again!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
VT Support and Training

I think all the ones on the latest list are pretty close now, except for the one on Michaels Way. If you need that one fixed before we have a better system in place, call us and lead us in. For example, have us look on the map at I-80, now go south until you get to XXX street. See how it crosses YY street? Pretend you are turning right there and go until that loop. The property is at the bottom of the loop near where the road bends.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM
VT Support and Training

Thank you to thesoggycow and Dave Melvin for allowing us to use their tours as test subjects. In most cities, Google is pretty good with mapping, but it is not perfect, so we now have an override solution in place.

As noted above, 10145 Michaels Way remains in the wrong place since we did not know where to place it. I assume that thesoggycow knows where it belongs, so here is your opportunity to use our new feature to adjust the mapping location.

1) Log into your account at www.VisualTour.com (click Subscriber Login).

2) On the My Account screen, click My Tours toward the upper left.

3) Click the Info button next to your tour.

4) To the right of the address for the property, click Test Map.

5) You will now see an option below the map saying "Map location not correct? Click here to change the location." If the placement of the property is incorrect, click the option.

6) Use your mouse to drag the marker from its current location to the proper place. A zoom in/zoom out slider is on the left if you need to move a great distance. For example, if the property address was not found at all, Google's technology would place it at the intersection of the Prime Meridian and the equator. That is in the ocean off the coast of Africa! Unless you are marketing properties in Africa, you will have to zoom out a bit to drag it back to its proper continent.

7) Once the property marker is correctly placed, click Update Map Location.

Take a look, and I think you'll find that the new drag and drop interface is easy to use and allows you to precisely place listings where they belong. Questions? VisualTour support is available from 8AM to 8PM Eastern on weekdays and 9AM-6PM on Saturdays. Just call 800-873-0700.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM

A couple of mine were out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Fixed them by using the 'test map' option.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks rmoss! This small update is a wonderful addition to Visual Tour. Now users can place their properties in the exact location they desire...

Thanks Again.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:24 AM

This time I can't even relocate a property on the map. When I click on the "test map" link, it takes me to the map, but the map is completely blue with the property location in the center, so I don't even know where to relocate it. And it isn't showing up on my map inventory. Address has been validated with that link and clicking on the "update geocode" link doesn't seem to make a difference. Let me know if there is something else I should/could do.

Property is Tour # 0119-7431, 13800 Lincoln Lake Ave in Gowen MI 49326.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
VT Support and Training

You are experiencing the same situation as Phunnybone above. The screen is blue because your property is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. When the mapping cannot locate the address, the property is assigned to 0 degrees latitude and longitude, which is off the coast of Africa. Just use the tools on the left to zoom out so you can drag it to a reasonably close location, then zoom in to place the property in it proper location.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Got it. Thanks. I had zoomed out, but not far enough. Forgot about the location in the ocean (and it's pretty big).