Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support FAQs > Error Messages

Old 05-03-2004, 03:41 PM
VT Support and Training

Default Error 2 - I/O Error

An Error 2 (also known as I/O Error) is an indication that the data files cannot be read.

There are two possible reasons.
  1. The data files have become corrupt.

2. The database engine has failed, causing it to be unable to read any data.
Fortunately, it is relatively easy to determine which of the above is the case. All you will do is create a new folder, then try to add some data (a tour) to the new folder.

To create a new folder, follow these steps.
  1. Open the VisualTour software. If necessary, cancel the tour guide.

2. Click the FOLDERS button at the top of the screen.

3. Click the NEW button.

4. Type in a folder number (or a name like My Tours) up to 12 characters, and click OK. You will have the opportunity to type a longer name later.

5. VisualTour will show you the location where it is placing the folder on your hard drive. Click OK.

6. Choose to "Create Blank Folder," and click OK.

7. Type in a name for the new folder, and click OK. This name can be up to 30 characters or you can use the shorter name you type in step 4.

8. Click SELECT to exit the Folder Manager screen.

9. Now try to create a tour in the new folder. If you are successful, the problem is the first of those mentioned above. The data files you were trying to read in the other folder have become corrupt. There is not too much you can do other than restore a backup if you have one. Fortunately, data corruption is rare, but since the consequences are so drastic, you should always keep a backup to prevent future loss.

If the new folder cannot be read, then your data is probably fine, but the software’s ability to read the database is in question. In that case, close the VisualTour software and use Windows Explorer or My Computer to rename the following files (any name you want, but we recommend you keep the names similar so you remember what the files were - for example, rename BTI.INI to BTI.SAV), then you will reinstall the VisualTour software to replace the renamed files.

In your \windows directory (folder)
    BTI.INI

In your \windows\system or \windows\system32 directory (folder)
    NWLOCALE.DLL
    W32MKDE.EXE
    W32MKRC.DLL
    WBT32RES.DLL
    WBTR32.EXE
    WBTRCALL.DLL
    WBTRLOCL.DLL
    WBTRTHNK.DLL
    WBTRV32.DLL
    WBTRVRES.DLL

If you need help with renaming files or understanding the problem, VisualTour support can be reached toll free at 800-873-0700.