Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support - General > Tips, Tricks & Techniques

Old 10-22-2001, 03:28 PM

Unhappy Ugly Orange Pix

When I photograph the inside of a home with my HP 315 and use flash I get an ugly orange/yellow look to all rooms. Sometimes I just can't get enough natural light or light from available lights in the room.
Any suggestions? I've thought of using a floodlight but it seems rather cumbersome. Here comes Mr. Realtor Pro with all his gadgets plus the kitchen sink. Any ideas?
Larry Sexton
Old 10-23-2001, 08:16 AM
VT Support and Training

Lightbulb Some Thoughts on Your Orange Photos

Most homeowners find dark rooms to be dreary, so you should not run into this problem too often. When you do, however, and you cannot borrow a lamp from another room, you do have options other than carrying a floodlamp. Be aware that many digital cameras have a white balance adjustment. The purpose of the adjustment is because in digital photos, sunlight is white, incandescent light is red/orange, and fluorescent light is blue/green. To compensate and keep photos looking normal, the camera can color adjust the photos as they are taken, in your case, to lessen the orange effect. It is also a common feature for cameras to have adjustable aperture control to allow more light in (often referred to as EV with settings of –2 to +2). Unfortunately, your HP315 has "automatic white balance" so you cannot control it or manually "trick it" into thinking the room is too orange. I see no mention of exposure control other than automatic in HP’s spec sheet.

Even if you did trick it, however, there are times when a room is still going to be too dark. In those cases, you really have to adjust the photo in a photo editing program before importing it into our software. Virtually any image editing software program can adjust color and brightness. Your camera comes with a program called HP Image Smart. You might have to do some adjustments there before bringing in the photos. Be careful to add contrast to photos that are brightened so they do not look washed out.

Lastly, if this problem arises often for you, it is not necessary to carry huge floodlamps around. Discount stores like Wal-Mart sell very small floodlamps (under $20) that pack quite a lot of light. Look for the Kelvin rating to see how “white” the light will appear (higher is whiter). For the most part, however, it is not necessary to carry even these small lights if you just use the image editing software.

Obviously, a photo of a black cat will look black no matter how much light you add, but you should be able to minimize the color problems with your image editing program since you do not have the white balance setting in your camera.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:13 PM

Hi:

I just read your post (this is the first time I have used the forum) and I thought I would share my experience. I have run into this problem several times, and I solved it by purchasing an external flash for my digital. This seemed to solve the problem for me. At that time, I was using a kodak dc260 and now own a Olympus C700 (which is wonderful). I found that I am going to have to buy an external flash for it as well. Even though my external flash was an off brand and was universal, it would not fit my Olympus (just my luck). I bought mine from a local camera shop. They range in price from $50.00 and up. I think I paid $50.00 for mine. They also sell the brackets separately to attach to your digital. That was an additional $45.00 and I opted to just hold the flash instead. I use a tripod so it wasn't a major deal but I think this time around I may go ahead and get the bracket too. Anyways, hope this helps!

Jerrie Williams
919-605-1253 - Mobile
Old 02-04-2002, 08:27 AM

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why, but that orange thing has pretty much disappeared. But - If it comes back - I now have a solution. I have no idea what I changed to get rid of that color but it went away on it's own. I was soo frustrated!
All this stuff is great - when it works. Lately, everything is screwing up. Now my relatively new Gateway just had a power problem (had to replace the power supply) and the scanner just went on the fritz - spent way too much time trying to fix it - just going to go buy a new one today.
Again - thanks,
Larry Sexton
Old 04-30-2004, 09:36 AM
VT Support and Training

Please be advised that there was an issue whereby certain types of (usually vertical) photos brought into early releases of VisualTour would get colored spots or streaks appearing on them. If you are experiencing an overall orange or green tinge such as the people above are describing, then better lighting is the proper resolution.

If, however, you are seeing only spots or streaks of color, please click here to visit our updates page, where you should install any version higher than 4.0.6 (current version is 4.1) and turn on the filtering option (SETUP menu, CAMERA if you import images via the Tour Guide -OR- OPTIONS button, MISC tab if you use the Import From Disk option outside the Tour Guide).
Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Streaks

We have noted some red and green blotches on photos taken with our Canon Digital Rebel. This happened when we used the camera to take vertical shots and allowed the default setting on the camera to rotate the photos. If you turn off the auto-rotate option on the camera and allow the virtual tour software to rotate the photos you won't have this issue. If your reading this and have images that have already been taken then bring them into a photo-editing package, modify them in some way, undo the modification and save them. This will also take care of the problem.

Good Luck!

Sharon Kofahl
Keller Williams Realty
http://www.move2dallas.com