Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support - General > I Need Help!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Default MAC - Unable to read tour: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.

Hi - just tried installing VisualTour on a new iMac running Windows XP through Parallels. Seemed to install fine, and starts up without errors. But when I try to open a tour folder, I get an error that says:

Unable to read tour: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.
File:\\.psf\Home\Documents\My VisualTours\Residential\Sample Tour 1\tour.xml

I click "OK" on that error, and get another error window that says:

We're sorry but an unexpected error has occurred.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VTStudio.Tour.Open(String folder)
at VTStudio.TourViewer.set_Folder(String Value)
at VTStudio.frmMain.TourFolderViewer_FolderDoubleClick(String FolderName, String FolderPath)
at VTStudio.FolderViewer.lvWorkArea_ItemActivate(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnItemActivate(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Source=(VTS)

I made sure that the sample tour file is there in that folder. Is there something I can do to fix this, or is it somehow a fundamental incompatibility with my system? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
VT Support and Training

Default Re: VisualTour error on Mac with Parallels

I'll give you some thoughts based on a Windows-PC perspective since Macs, even under Parallels, are not really supported.

When the VisualTour Studio software is launched, it reads a file called VTS.CONFIG to read your default settings and determine the location of various items. It appears to me as though it is trying to locate the folder where your tours are stored, but it is not seeing that location. You can look in your VTStudio folder (normally C:\Program Files\VTStudio) for the VTS.CONFIG file and open it in a text editor like Notepad. Near the top, you will probably see a line saying something like:

<MyToursFolder>C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\My VisualTours</MyToursFolder>

If you do not see that line, you can just add it immediately following the two lines saying:
<configuration>
<Main>

Everything between <MyToursFolder> and </MyToursFolder> identifies where the software is looking. Point it to wherever you really installed the data files. If you have no data yet, just point it to anywhere you want, but use a drive letter, not a UNC path (so do not use a path like \\my-mac\HD), and point to somewhere that already exists, has full rights, and has no other files in it. You said you found the sample tour there, but I think the mapping is what is throwing the software off.

Save it with a revised path and you will probably be all set. Again, keep in mind that I am providing this reply based on how to make this error go away on a Windows-PC. If your Parallels software is doing its job, then you will probably have success with this solution.

If not, my top three suggestions are:

1) Use a Windows PC
OR
2) Send tech support your VTS.CONFIG file (support@VisualTour.com)
OR
3) Did I mention using a Windows PC? I'm not trying to be a pain about it, but I just worry that even if you get past this one problem on your Mac, who knows if you will have another tomorrow or when an update is released.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM

Hey - I don't mean to be a pain regarding the Mac thing, but that's what I've got here... so I appreciate the suggestions (with only a hint of "get a PC").

And... your suggestions helped! Turns out the magic MyToursFolder hint seems to have done the trick. The key address was "Z:\Documents\My VisualTours" -- having amended the config file thusly, it seems now to be working error-free. I won't hold you responsible if a future update causes other trouble, but I wanted to say thanks for helping out with this.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Pending User

Good question here, I would love to use my iMac, but is it possible without running parallel?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
VT Support and Training

Parallels (or a similar application like VMware Fusion) is the most practical way, but there is another less practical option. If you have a newer Intel based Mac, you can use Boot Camp, which comes with all newer Macs. The downside is that each time you want to change from a Mac software application to a Windows application (or back), you must restart your Mac in either Mac mode or Windows mode.

Regardless of whether you choose a system that allows you to run Mac and Windows side by side (like Parallels or VMware Fusion) or you opt for Boot Camp, either way, you still need to install Windows.

Apple has some info on its website. Start out here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/