Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support - General > Tips, Tricks & Techniques

Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Full Service Provider

Question Evenly Spaced Panoramas

During the final months of the time I was wtih iPIx they had developed a system that provided very evenly spaced photo overlaps ......by using an adaptor that allowed the camera to space each photo by way of ""pre determined incremental indents on a aluminum wheel".
Each time we manually moved the camera it hit an indent providing even spacing and overlap...I seem to repeat.

Realizing this will be a different adaptor for each LensMM.

Iwonder if thier is something out there that is now available to purchase?

Have you seen or do you know of such an adaptor that could be used for the VT Tours especially the 180 to 360 Pans?

AND....any suggestions on how to keep the camera Horizontally Level and Vertically Plumb...Yes I have a circular bubble level that helps...but only helps.

Hope this makes some sense.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:18 PM
VT Support and Training

Default Do you mean a graduated head?

Aren't you just talking about a device called a graduated head? It is not limited to iPIX or even tour creation. You can get tripods with graduated heads or just a new head if you have a tripod that allows interchanging of heads. If you really want to shell out some money, they even make them motorized so that you can set your camera to take a photo every X number of seconds, then you set the tripod head to rotate every X seconds, and you stand back and enjoy the show.

If you want the budget guide to doing it, just make some marks on your tripod every 30-36 degrees. Many already have those marks built in. You'll have to experiment to see what setting is right for your camera lens, but 30-36 will be close, so it is a good starting point.

For most agents (or should I say most camera lenses), I would not recommend a graduated head since it is better to use your human eye to judge where to make the photos start and stop. Many people have seen that it is best to get the long straight lines into one photo and then rotate the camera. In some cases, that means that not every photo will be (or should be) evenly spaced.

You mentioned that a bubble level helps keep the tripod straight. Unless the bubble is set into the head incorrectly, it is going to make sure you are perfectly level, though there is no guarantee that your surroundings will be.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Default keeping level and plumb

I use a tripod with the bubble level - this keeps the camera level. Each time I set up I use a small torpedo level across the actual lens to verify plumb. This works very well!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:23 AM

Default camera level & plumb

I use a tripod with bubble level but then also level the actual face of the lens with a torpedo level to assure that the lens is remaining level and plumb as I rotate. This seems to work quite well. The bubble level alone won't assure that the lens is plumb especially if you flip the camera to shoot in vertical position.