Paradym Forums  

Go Back   Paradym Forums > Support - General > I Need Help!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Panaroma Pictures bend in (toward the camera) when it comes to the closest point Help

Panaroma Pictures appear to bend in (toward the camera) when it comes to the closest point The wall or scene appear to have a curve that is not there Help
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
VT Support and Training

Default Re: Panaroma Pictures bend in (toward the camera) when it comes to the closest point Help

Without seeing your photos, I cannot be sure, but you might be seeing the result of blending photos with different perspectives. Let me show you what I mean, and then I will tell you a way to get around it, but if you or anyone out there is not 100% sure of what I am suggesting, call VisualTour support instead of trying this on your own.

When you aim straight at a part of a room (perpendicular to the wall) the floor, door frames, and ceiling will all appear on a level horizon (what some people would call 0 degrees).
When you turn to the left, the angle changes so portions of the items in the left part of the photo appear LOWER than the same parts in the right part of the photo.
When you turn to the right, the perspective changes so some items in the left part of the photo appear HIGHER than those same parts in the right part of the photo.

If you place photos of alternate perspective side by side, there is no way they will line up for stitching.

To avoid sharp changes in angles, the software smooths out the changes and a curve can appear.

The result is much better than trying to merge items of different perspectives, but since you do not like the result, let me tell you one way to get around it. Do not try this idea if you do not fully understand what I am saying since it breaks the biggest rule in the book, which is the one telling you not to move when taking photos.  Using this method, you can move but do so VERY carefully.  Take your three photos, but instead of standing in the middle of the room and rotating, stand against the back wall on the left side of the room (in the example above, you would be on the near side of the bed) DIRECTLY facing the opposite side of the room (in this case, the windows). Make sure you are facing the opposite side of the room head on. Take photo 1. Now, move PARALLEL to the area you are photographing (parallel to those windows above) and stay exactly the same distance from the far side of the room but centered in the room (aiming straight at those windows but in line with those two chairs). Take photo 2. Now, move to the right again and stay the exact same distance from the far wall and stay parallel. Take photo 3.

You stand where the numbers are.

They will stitch with no curvature since the perspective is the same in all the photos.  While you are there, take another set of photos the traditional way just in case you did not get this new method down to a science the first time. You would hate to have to drive out to the house again.

If you need to reach VisualTour's support staff with questions about these steps, it is a toll free call at 800-873-0700. Hours of support have been expanded recently to 8AM to 8PM Eastern.

Last edited by rmoss; 01-07-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Panaroma Pictures bend in (toward the camera) when it comes to the closest point Help

I understand your explanation of how to control this perspective angle. However, I am experiencing this on 360 deg tours. When I hired a company to do my virtual tours I didn't see such a dramatic distortion in their tours sometime a very little one. My concern is your software is not sophisticated enough to over come this problem. Unless I am doing something wrong that can be fixed I am not happy with results form your program. You can see what I am talking about here
http://visualtour.com/inventory.asp?u=120741
if you know a fix please share it.
An answer like don't use 360deg tours is unacceptable. Your product cannot satisfy my, or any discerning persons needs at this time, if you can't do 360's with it. If you have no fix I may as well go back to the people that can do 360deg in an acceptable manner.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 AM
VT Support and Training

Looking at your particular tours, I am seeing more curvature than in my example above. The reason is the same (perspective), but it is more pronounced since you are doing the 360, which forces you to be in the center of the room and closer to each wall. That closeness adds more distortion in smaller areas.

From 2001 to early 2006, we used a Java based viewer that had the ability to warp the images in and out of the frame, and that compensated for the curvature. Once Microsoft got into its disagreements with Sun Microsystems (the creators of Java) and stopped distributing Java as part of Windows, Java began losing popularity. Before the proverbial ship sank, we elected to change technologies to one (Flash) that is not only the most popular, but also gave us more freedom to add new features. The one and only feature we lost was warping the image [editor's note: we later got warping back, although it only appears when the person viewing the tour clicks the 3D button], which was not a popular feature with users since it could cause a dizzying effect if used improperly. We decided it was a fair trade in exchange for the new features we could add, but we also left the older Java based viewer in place for people who disagreed and wanted to continue using the older software to create tours. Time has proven that our opinion is shared by the masses, and people are choosing the new features over that one feature that most people did not use anyway. The small few that used it are now using two 180 degree images in place of a 360 in smaller areas in cases where the 360 is not working well.

You have said that avoiding 360 images is not an option for you, so ultimately, you must decide what features are most important to you and use the solution that best fits into your marketing strategy. If complete control of unlimited tours, each with large numbers of scenes and music/narration (not to mention maps, online contact ability, inventory lists, and numerous other features) is very important to you, then we offer a great solution at a much lower cost than hiring other people to make a tour for you.

Last edited by rmoss; 10-03-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Updating information