VisualTour Forums  

Go Back   VisualTour Forums > Support - General > I Need Help!

Old 04-24-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Photos upload out of order - need to fix

My photos for a given tour reside in a file for that property. They are in order by nature of their file names created by my Olympus C700-UZ digital camera. However, when I load them into the VisualTour folder for that property using the VisualTour software, they are completely out of order. I can spend a LOT of time figuring out which photo goes after which other photo and moving them into position before proceeding. Why does this happen, and how can I fix it? Was it caused by the existence of some other files in that folder which I was planning to delete after they transferred, including some text files?
Old 08-23-2003, 04:28 PM

Angry Photos out of order

I hope someone comes up with a fix for this problem. I am using a Kodak DX3900 reworking with Photoshop and have many times over a hundred photos. VT keeps randomizing the photos when it uploads. Currently it is unusable as I don't want to spend 8 or 10 hrs trying to figure out the correct sequence. I have erased the file tried to reload, rebooted the computer and tried VT again, looked at the photo file to make sure the serial numbers on the photos are in order, looked at thumbnail photos and all seems correct until I try to import..

Help..
Old 08-24-2003, 07:40 AM

Wink Out of Order Photos/Random load

After many itterations there is a work around:

If you load all the photos manually and don't use the program automated start sequence photos load correctly.

Open program, click cancel,
click: file, new, "insert your name" OK
click edit, import images, import image from disk, seleck folder, select files, click on calendar,date, highlight all files you want to move, click on file button on lower right, wait....
files seem to transfer correctly and the order that you have on your disk.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 AM
VT Support and Training

Default You Figured It Out, But Here is More Information

You figured out the popular workaround to this situation, but let me give you more information so you and other people will understand what is going on behind the scenes.

Unlike the main import screen, the tour guide's download feature uses short filenames that conform to the structure of 8 characters plus a 3 letter extension. Long filenames are shown to you, but internally, the tour guide is converting the names and importing alphabetically by short filename. If your camera is using long filenames (or if you name your photos manually) then they can import in an order that will seem somewhat random to you.

Since you said you made adjustments to the photos in Photoshop, the easiest solution for you would be to name the files with shorter names when saving them. Also, remember that alphabetically "10" comes before "2" so use names like photo008.jpg, photo009.jpg, and photo010.jpg so they will remain in order when you import them.

This use of short filenames is left over from the days when we were trying to keep our software compatible with Windows 3.1. Those days are gone, but this particular routine worked well, so it was not updated. Look for this situation to be changed in the next major release. When will that be? Well, we are trying to incorporate many requested features and ideas, so we are electing to take our time with writing it carefully and have no particular planned release date in mind.